The Physical and Chemical Biology Institute was created in 1930 by Edmond de Rothschild Foundation. The IBPC is then the only scientific institution to employ full-time researchers, biologists, physicists and chemists, dedicated exclusively to the advancement of knowledge. Design by Jean Perrin, Nobel Prize in Physics 1926, foreshadows what will be the National Centre for Scientific Research created ten years later.
Different departments and laboratories that originally made up the IBPC evolved during the twentieth century research units involving the CNRS and the Universities. In January 1997, the Edmond de Rothschild Foundation transferred CNRS scientific and administrative responsibility for IBPC. Today IBPC is managed by a research federation, the FRC 550, and hosts five research units dependent of the Institute of Biological Sciences (INSB) or the Institute of Chemical Sciences (INC) of the CNRS. These units are associated with universities Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC) and Paris-Diderot.
The IBPC remains true to its mission to promote multidisciplinary research in all fields of biology. The structural basis, genetic and physicochemical alive are studied for their different levels of integration, from the molecule to the organism. The IBPC is a place of research open to the international scientific community, which promotes the work guided by scientific curiosity and realized in a atmosphere of intellectual freedom. He is a member of the Foundation Pierre Gilles de Gennes and active partner of all research institutions of the Montagne Ste Geneviève.