The "Microbial Gene Expression" unit (EGM; UMR8261 CNRS, Université Paris Cité), was founded by Marianne Grunberg-Manago in the early 60s. We perform fundamental research on the control of gene expression inmicroorganisms (E. coli, B. subtilis, Synechocystis and S. cerevisiae) using genetic, biochemical and structural approaches. RNA, in all its forms, plays a central role in our work, which focuses on key steps in the control of gene expression: gene transcription, mRNA stability and translatability. The unit currently employs 35 people in 5 scientifically autonomous teams.
1. RNA MAturation and Decay (headed by Ciarán Condon)
2. Biogenesis, architecture and interactions of RNAs (Headed by Carine Tisné)
3. RNA control of gene expression (Headed by Eliane Hajnsdorf and Maude Guillier)
4. Physiology and regulation of protein synthesis (Headed by Grégory Boël) (Dirigée par Grégory Boël)
5. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional controls of gene expression (Headed by Harald Putzer)
Friday, December 1st (11h30)
«Ribosome-associtaed mRNA quality control, a focus on No-Go Decay (NGD) pathway in S. cerevisiae»
Tuesday, November 5th (10h30)
«Dynamic ribonucleoprotein complexes in the control of bacterial gene expression»
(University of Cambridge, Department of Biochemistry)
⚠️ Please note, change of venue: Salle Favard, IBENS, Paris ⚠️
Tuesday, November 5th (14h00)
«Divers mécanismes de régulation par les petits ARN dans la synthèse de la
protéine d'acquisition du fer FepA chez Escherichia coli»
The Microbial Gene Expression unit (EGM/UMR8261 CNRS Université Paris Cité) is seeking to recruit a dynamic new group or new group leader broadly interested in the field of RNA biology in bacteria, archaea, yeast or organelles (e.g. mitochondria). Candidates will be expected to apply for their own funding (ANR, ATIP, ERC). About 40 m2 of equipped laboratory space will be available at the Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique (IBPC) in Paris, starting from the spring of 2023. The new group will also have access to the crystallography, NMR, mass-spectrometry and functional genomics platforms, in addition to the shared equipment (Imager, ultracentrifuges, microscopes, qRT-PCR …) of the IBPC. Candidates who do not already have a permanent position will be expected to apply to the CNRS to stabilize their employment situation.
The 6 research groups of the EGM currently use structural, biochemical and genetic approaches to study RNA maturation, modification, and post-transcriptional regulation of translation and mRNA decay. We are looking to expand on these areas of interest and on the experimental approaches used.
Candidates should send a CV and brief project proposal (<5 pages), including a rationale for joining the EGM, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Recent EGM Publications
- Marcos-Viquez J, Rodríguez-Hernández A, Álvarez-Añorve LI, Medina-García A, Plumbridge J, Calcagno ML, Rodríguez-Romero A, Bustos-Jaimes I. (2023) Substrate binding in the allosteric site mimics homotropic cooperativity in the SIS-fold glucosamine-6-phosphate deaminases. Protein Sci. Jun;32(6):e4651. doi: 10.1002/pro.4651.
- Allouche D, Kostova G, Hamon M, Marchand CH, Caron M, Belhocine S, Christol N, Charteau V, Condon C, Durand S. (2023) New RoxS sRNA Targets Identified in Bacillus subtilis by Pulsed SILAC. Microbiol Spectr. 2023 Jun 20:e0047123. doi: 10.1128/spectrum.00471-23.
- Deves V, Trinquier A, Gilet L, Alharake J, Condon C, Braun F. (2023) Shutdown of multidrug transporter bmrCD mRNA expression mediated by the ribosome-associated endoribonuclease (Rae1) cleavage in a new cryptic ORF RNA. 29(8):1108-1116. doi: 10.1261/rna.079692.123.
- Trinquier A, Condon C, Braun F. (2023) Effect of tRNA Maturase Depletion on Levels and Stabilities of Ribosome Assembly Cofactor and Other mRNAs in Bacillus subtilis Microbiol Spectr. 11(2):e0513422. doi: 10.1128/spectrum.05134-22
- P. Barraud , C. Tisné (2023). Cracking the case of m7G modification in human tRNAs, Nat Struct Mol Biol doi: 10.1038/s41594-023-00937-5
- Jagodnik J., Tjaden B., Ross W. and Gourse R.L. (2023) “Identification and characterization of RNA binding sites for (p)ppGpp using RNA-DRaCALA” Nucleic Acids Res. 51(2):852-869. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkac1224
- Fostier CR, Ousalem F, Leroy EC, Ngo S, Soufari H, Innis CA, Hashem Y, Boël G. (2023) “Regulation of the macrolide resistance ABC-F translation factor MsrD.” Nat Commun. 14(1):3891. doi: 10.1038/s41467-023-39553-8.
- Ousalem F, Singh S, Bailey NA, Wong KH, Zhu L, Neky MJ, Sibindi C, Fei J, Gonzalez RL, Boël G, Hunt JF. Comparative genetic, biochemical, and biophysical analyses of the four E. coli ABCF paralogs support distinct functions related to mRNA translation (2023) bioRxiv. doi: 10.1101/2023.06.11.543863. Preprint.
- Korobeinikova A, Laalami S, Berthy C, Putzer H. (2023) “RNase Y Autoregulates Its Synthesis in Bacillus subtilis.” Microorganisms. 11(6):1374. doi: 10.3390/microorganisms11061374.
- Wiegard JC, Damm K, Lechner M, Thölken C, Ngo S, Putzer H, Hartmann RK (2023) Processing and decay of 6S-1 and 6S-2 RNAs in Bacillus subtilis. RNA. doi: 10.1261/rna.079666.123.
- Bronchain O, Ducos B, Putzer H, Delagrange M, Laalami S, Philippe-Caraty L, Saroul K, Ciapa B (2023) Presenilin natural antisense transcription in the sea urchin: a general control of gene expression during development? J Cell Sci. doi: 10.1242/jcs.261284